With the magical influx of new readers, I would like to warmly welcome everyone to r/ethereum. Please protect this community’s philosophy by respecting our rules (see sidebar or scroll down). Let me quote the most important ones here for reference:
- Keep price discussion and market talk to subreddits such as /r/ethtrader.
- Keep mining discussion to subreddits such as /r/ethermining.
- Keep plain ICO advertisements to subreddits such as r/ethinvestor.
Feel free to use this thread to say ‘Hi, I’m new!’ or ‘Hi, I’m not!’. If you have a question, feel free to comment and ask it below. But first make sure you are fully synchronized and have a look at FAQ on Ethereum Stack Exchange. Do you have any question that feels really dumb? Try r/ethereumnoobies 😀
What is Ethereum?
Ethereum is a cutting-edge blockchain-based distributed computing platform, featuring smart contract functionality. It provides a decentralized virtual machine, the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), that can execute peer-to-peer contracts using a crypto-fuel called Ether.
- General White Paper, Technical Yellow Paper (pdf)
- Ethereum the world computer (video)
- Gavin Wood’s Ethereum vision at Devcon 0 (video)
- Vitalik Buterin’s Ethereum introduction at Devcon 1 (video)
- Joseph Lubin’s interview on building decentralized applications (video)
- BBC explains Ethereum (video)
- Techcrunch on Ethereum (video)
- ELI5 attempts, this one is pretty good 🙂
- Ethereum: A Visual Explanation.
Where do I start?
You want to start by getting yourself set up with a wallet. You have a number of choices:
- Download the Mist Wallet
- Download the Parity Wallet
- Download the Harmony Wallet
- Install the MetaMask Chrome extension
- Use the client-side MyEtherWallet generator
- Secure your keys with Ledger Nano S or Trezor hardware wallets
Get Ether, write smart contracts, build DApps, and dive into Ethereum:
- Read a beginner’s guide to Ethereum (by Coinbase)
- Get the current week’s news in Ethereum or the DApp Daily
- Find out how to buy Ether or compute your GPU’s mining profitability
- Build your own crypto-currency with Ethereum
- Raise funds from friends without a third party
- Build a democracy on the blockchain
- Build your first DApp in ten steps
- Monitor the network status (mirror) and the gas price market
- Read the documentation (for Homestead)
- Check out some DApps, that run on Ethereum
- Learn Solidity, an Ethereum smart contract language
- Browse the Ethereum Ecosystem Business Directory
- Ask questions at Ethereum Stack Exchange
- Live chat with Ethereum developer teams on Gitter
- Join the Ethereum community chat on Discord
- Check out Ethereum Meetups in your area
I want more in-depth details!
The annual Ethereum Developer Conference (Devcon):
- Devcon 0 (Berlin, 2014) talks and videos
- Devcon 1 (London, 2015) talks and videos
- Devcon 2 (Shanghai, 2016) talks and videos
- Devcon 3 (Cancún, 2017) talks and videos
Other conferences, workshops, meetups, or tutorials:
- European Ethereum Development Conference (EDCON)
- London Ethereum (meetup)
- Berlin Ethereum (meetup)
- Ethereum Core Developer Meetings (call)
- Building Ethereum DApps using Solidity (tutorial)
List of protocol updates and hard-forks:
- Olympic pre-release (Testnet, Chain #0 – May 9, 2015)
- Frontier public release (Ethereum Genesis, Chain #1 – July 30, 2015)
- Homestead (Block #1,150,000 – March 14, 2016)
- DAO Fork (Block #1,920,000 – July 20, 2016)
- DoS Fork (Block #2,463,000 – October 18, 2016)
- Spurious Dragon (Block #2,675,000 – November 22, 2016)
- Byzantium (Block #4,370,000 – October 16, 2017, Metropolis part #1)
- Constantinople will be scheduled end of 2018 (Metropolis part #2).
- Serenity will be scheduled end of 2019 (the proof-of-stake fork)
List of public testnets:
- Olympic, pre-release public test network with ID #0 (replaced by Morden)
- Morden, Fontier-based public test network with ID #2 (replaced by Ropsten)
- Ropsten, Homestead-based public test network with ID #3 (recently revived)
- ConsenSys, Proof-of-Work public test network
- Kovan, Proof-of-Authority public test network (Parity only)
- Rinkeby, Proof-of-Authority public test network (Geth only)
- A Caspar PoS/PoA testnet is currently being prepared …
You are expected to treat everyone with a certain level of respect and refrain from inappropriate behavior. Examples of inappropriate behavior include:
- Personal insults
- Threats of violence or attempts to organize attacks
- Slurs of any kind
- Posting people’s private information
If you can’t play nice with others, you will not be allowed to post here.
Ether Price, Market and Mining discussions
Discussion related to the price of ether, buying, trading, market speculation, or any other price/market talk should be posted on /r/ethtrader, a third-party Subreddit not moderated by us. In addition, keep mining discussion to Subreddits such as /r/EtherMining.
Duplicate threads may be deleted. It is up to the discretion of the mods.
No spamming or drive by posting
Spamming will lead to post deletion and a possible ban. Posts created by accounts that self-delete immediately will be deleted right away – no drive by posting.
Using multiple accounts
Creating multiple accounts to get around Reddit or Subreddit rules is not allowed and will likely result in a permanent ban.
Posts with purposely misleading or unsubstantiated titles will be removed.
Karma & age requirements for posting submissions
All post submissions should be made from accounts at least 10 days old with a minimum of 20 comment karma. This is to keep trolls and spam-bots to a minimum. Exceptions may be made on a discretionary basis, message the mods for more information.
/r/Ethereum is a place for the open discussion about the Ethereum software, protocol, distributed applications, and related technologies. As moderators, we are here to make sure the discussion stays civil and productive. We will not censor posts based on personal ideology and welcome constructive discourse.
What we ask of our users
- Please utilize the up-vote and down-vote buttons. This is a built in moderation tool that is very powerful.
- If you submit a report about a post or comment, please provide as much detail as possible to help us more quickly sort through our reported posts/comments.
- Please don’t report posts or comments you disagree with, only about things that actually break the rules.
- We welcome discussions about other crypto-currencies and Ethereum implementations, but if the topic is already being extensively covered by other threads we kindly ask you to consider posting it to a more specific Subreddit. You can check an extensive (but not comprehensive) list of Ethereum-related Subreddits on the “All Ethereum” Multireddit.
The moderation logs are public and available for review here.
- How would I explain Ethereum to a non-technical friend?
- What are the Ethereum disk space needs?
- What is “gas” and transaction fee in Ethereum?
- What is the total supply of Ether?
- Help with very slow Mist sync!
- How to backup mist wallets?
- How do I backup my ether accounts?
- What is the recommended way to safely store Ether?
- How to reduce the chances of your Ethereum wallet getting hacked?
- How do I buy Ethereum with USD?
- How can I get a geth node to download the blockchain quickly?
- How to mine Ether on GNU + Linux?
- Ropsten testnet is under kind of attack? What can we do?
- Is CPU mining even worth the Ether?
- What’s the best Hardware for Mining Ether?
- Why is my node synchronization stuck/extremely slow at block 2,306,843?
- Is there a limit for transaction size?
- How to Mine Ether and use Ethereum on Windows?
- How many transactions can the network handle?
Posted by /u/5chdn on January 28, 2018 @ https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/77gytn/welcome_to_rethereum_the_reddit_frontpage_of_the/
Powered by WPeMatico