Bitcoin bull run – is it on and when is the next one? [Updated]
A bull run generally means that the stockmarket is going up, the value of assets is increasing and there is a lot of interest from the general public. A bull run is an opposite to the bear market, when the asset prices are going down without reversion.
Bitcoin bull market definitely took place in the late 2017, when the USD value of Bitcoin skyrocketed to nearly $20.000 per 1 BTC.
2018 though was marked by something most observers called a bear market, even though Bitcoin is still more expensive in USD that it was several years ago.
In any case, to answer if we are in a Bitcoin bull run one needs to look at some of the signs that accompany a Bitcoin bull market (at least did so during the last bull run):
- Bitcoin price growth. Follow our Bitcoin to USD calculator to see price increase in the past 24 hours.
- Google search trends on Bitcoin, or Google alerts (have them set up!). This info will tell you how much the public interest has heated.
- Social media posts. Reddit, twitter, facebook all count. Especially if people that are normally far away from Bitcoin start talking about it – that’s a clear bull run indicator,
- Some commenters mention correlation between BTC and altcoins as a possible bull run indicator but that does not seem like a bullet-proof metric. Still, watch other coins sometimes too.
- Try to find indicators of “big players entering the market“. There would be a lot of rumors too, but tracking large Bitcoin purchases could work for that.
Are we experiencing a Bitcoin bull run right now?
[sept 5, 2018] Even though the Bitcoin price in USD went above $7k and holds that frontier for over several days, a bull run is unlikely. However, it’s completely possible to develop in the following months.
Here’s a compilation of latest tweets mentioning Bitcoin bull run and bullish sentiments: